A visit to a beach turned into a horror movie for a Melbourne, Australia, teen.
Sam Kanizay, 16, said he felt stinging on his legs while soaking them at Dendy Street Beach in Brighton, Australia, shortly before 6:30 p.m. after participating in a soccer match, The Independent reported. What happened next was unexpected. "I looked down and noticed that I had blood all over my ankles and feet", he said. But what he shook from his legs wasn't sand. "He hobbled home pretty quickly". (Source: Jarrod Kanizay via AAP).
They discovered thousands of tiny bites on the teen's legs, nearly as if he had been pricked with a pin repeatedly.
They sustained multiple bites to their lower legs and they saw the creatures still clinging to their feet once they'd washed away the blood.
Sam's legs were left bleeding after a post-footy swim.
His parents immediately took him to the hospital when he got home.
Sam's father then took a video of dozens of the tiny bug-like creatures chomping on the chunks of meat. The injured Sam was rushed to hospital and doctors could not explain what had caused the injury.
On Monday, footage taken by Sam's father Jarrod Kanizay showed a sample of the amphipods swarming around pieces of steak.
Sure enough, thousands of the critters measuring just 2 millimeters long swarmed around and feasted on the meat. He placed both in the water and gathered specimens of small, wiggling creatures devouring the red flesh.
Though Kanizay's situation is still being assessed by doctors, the teenager's father has advised residents in the area about the potential danger. He added that the bleeding would not stop.
"The amphipods have no venomous properties and will not cause lasting damage".
"It's possible he disturbed a feeding group but they are generally not out there waiting to attack like piranhas", she said. Currently, none of the lysianssid amphipods are known to produce an anticoagulant - but then, no one's yet investigated that adaptation in the group, Les Watling, a professor with the Darling Marine Center at the University of ME, told Live Science in an email. She said amphipod bites were common and "normally you would feel them or brush them off".
The article describes a 5 August 2017 incident in which 16-year-old Sam Kanizay made a decision to soak his legs in the ocean after playing soccer.
Dolphin Research Institute executive director Jeff Weir, who has also suffered a similar injury while diving, said the critters in the video were likely to be sea lice.
Doing the logical thing of giving them a dip in cold water, he headed across the road into the sea and stood in the cool water in an effort to soothe his legs.