Presidential election: Polling stations established for Iranians in Pakistan

Share

Mr Rouhani, 68, a moderate cleric who negotiated a landmark nuclear deal with world powers in 2015, is standing against three other candidates.

Rouhani, who championed the deal to lift most sanctions on Iran in return for curbs on its disputed nuclear program, is a staunch supporter of engagement with the West and liberal reforms to the economy, now dominated by state institutions.

A reformist candidate dropped out of Iran's presidential election on Tuesday and threw his support behind President Hassan Rouhani, in a widely expected move that will strengthen the incumbent's campaign against a hard-liner. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.

While many Iranians supported Rouhani's effort to end their country's isolation and avert military conflict with the United States, there is growing frustration that the results of the agreement - including an increase in oil exports - have not translated to real economic benefits for most people.

Unemployment, meanwhile, remains stuck in the double digits, with almost a third of Iranian youth out of work, according to the International Monetary Fund.

Yes and no. Iran's president and parliament are democratically-elected, but the country's highest authority is the Supreme Leader, who is appointed for life and has the final say on all matter of foreign and domestic policy. "However, with Raisi's foreign policy, we may even see the derailing of bilateral relations between Turkey and Iran", Koç added.

Forces from the Police, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), and Basij are tasked with ensuring security of the election.

She noted that if Rouhani wins reelection, he "would be welcomed by Europeans who desire more business dealings with Tehran and who would likely resist or ignore any USA efforts to slap nuclear sanctions back on Iran".

He also says a hardline victory could put Iran back on a more confrontational, economically damaging course with the West, and would prevent the opening of society that a majority of Iranians, especially the youth, yearn to see. Khatami is the de facto godfather of Iran's Green Movement, the reformist camp that took to the streets to protest the 2009 re-election of Ahmadinejad.

Over 56 million Iranians are eligible to vote in Iran's 12th presidential elections, according to Ali Asghar Ahmadi, head of the Election Headquarters of the Interior Ministry. City council elections alongside the presidential vote are likely to attract more voters in the first round, and the start of the holy month of Ramadan late next week could keep voters home during a runoff, Golkar said. Some say he's being groomed to succeed Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Sabet says that changing policies in these areas "would require a new consensus-building process between the President and conservative power centers, which would be significantly more hard than the process that allowed for the nuclear deal".

"Raisi is the true face of the Islamic Republic, while Rouhani is a façade", wrote Abrams. He was part of the so-called "death commission" that was responsible ensuring the Supreme Leader's orders were carried out. These people have been hailed by the leader of the opposition as a beacon of light for the people of Iran who so desperately want the freedom and democracy that they deserve.

The latest of these reports comes from John Allen Gay in the National Enquirer, who makes the mistake of believing in the hardliner v moderate narrative that the Iranian Regime is trying so hard to present.

A bruised Rouhani may struggle to secure enough votes to avoid a second ballot, prompting some analysts to predict he might lose in a run-off against Ebrahim Raisi, a former prosecutor Khamenei has helped build up, appointing him past year to oversee Iran's largest shrine and its charitable foundation.

Share

Advertisement

Related Posts

BC minority could have major implications for Alberta
The murmer of media preparing for election fury is the only sound at Green Party headquarters at 7:30 p.m. on election night. She said voters sent the message they want a bigger economy, not a bigger government, while keeping middle class taxes low.

Angry Gregg Popovich Rips Into Zaza Pachulia For Injuring Kawhi Leonard
Leonard injured his ankle in the first-game loss after he landed on Zaza Pachulia's foot as he went up for a three-point shot. Popovich said. "Have you ever heard of manslaughter?" Of course, the exact order is open to discussion but you get the idea.

Freeman injured, Bautista bat flips and Braves beat Jays
Markakis got the Braves on the board in the first, driving home Freeman and Matt Kemp with a two-out single off Bolsinger. Wednesday was the first anniversary of Brian Snitker taking over as Braves manager after Fredi Gonzalez was sacked .

Google opens up digital assistant to iPhone
At 10:30 PM tonight, Google CEO Sundar Pichai will take the stage to deliver the keynote address for Google I/O conference . He described the internet giant's core search service and its Google Assistant as the company's most important AI products.

Third-period goal is the difference in 1-0 win
Now with the series returning to Ottawa, after seeing how the Penguins can adjust to match the Senators' game, the pressure is on. It's my first without being able to text my mom, but I woke up this morning and I was able to text my wife because it was hers.

Markelle Fultz Considered 'Clear Choice' For Celtics If They Keep No. 1
The Lakers enter the lottery with a 46.92 percent chance of keeping their pick this year and a 53.08 percent of losing it. Expect Magic Johnson , Jeanie Buss and Luke Walton to be pulling out every superstitious lucky charm at their disposal.

© 2015 Stump Report. All Rights reserved.